TheSolarHub is a open access portal that supports actors in low- and middle-income countries to start using, scale up and/or operate and maintain quality solar water pumping solutions in their interventions.
This knowledge portal has four principal aims:
- to provide access to a searchable set of resources including manuals, guidelines, checklist, case studies and access to design tools
- to provide the possibility to access technical support from a group of solar pumping experts
- to offer a platform for sharing what is working among governments, international organisations, and civil society actors
- to map solar water projects across countries in an effort to connect institutions and organisations with interest on or implementing water projects that involve the use of solar technology so that they can benefit from each other experience
While solar water pumping has been in operation since the 1970s, it is only in last few years that it has expanded globally, offering more robust, larger and efficient solutions for water supply projects. Tens of thousands of solar pumping schemes have been installed in the last decade, in both rural communities and in large urban settings, as well as in camps for internally displaced people and refugees; in emergency and post-emergency contexts and also in more developmental situations.
Solar power for pumping water has a vast potential for improving the sustainability of water supply schemes. But experience also shows that limited knowledge, capacity and expertise is holding wider quality adoption.
Working with a network of partners across more than 47 countries, IOM, OXFAM, UNICEF and Water Missions have established a network to share, exchange and learn about difficulties, experiences and lessons in organizational efforts to initiate and scale up the use of solar solutions in water projects.
A group of experts provide technical support on the applicability, scalability and sustainability of solar water pumping solutions in a specific context, as well as advice on, and access to, different design tools.
- Start now exploring our resources.
- Share your ideas with the community.
- Ask our experts.